Welcome to Year 6!
Welcome to the Year 6 class page.
Our teacher is Mrs Adshead, assisted by Mr Arnold. You can follow us on Twitter @Y6redgate.
Our termly topics are:
Autumn Term - The Maya Civilization - history topic
Spring Term - World War Two - history topic
Summer Term - Marvellous Maps - geography topic
Some important information:
- Children are encouraged to read as often as possible at home from a wide variety of texts, including non-fiction.
- Homework is set every Friday and is expected to be returned completed by the following Wednesday.
- Spellings are given to the children to learn on a Monday morning and are tested every Friday.
- Children are also regularly tested on their multiplication tables and arithmetic skills.
- If your child requires any medication, please make sure this is sent into school with written instructions and permission for administration from a parent/carer. Please make Mrs Adshead aware if there is a change in any circumstances.
- Please can all children ensure that their PE kits are in school and available at all times. We have two sessions of PE each week and children are required to wear PE kit of black shorts, Redgate PE blue top and black pumps. Children will be asked to take their PE kits home at the end of each half term to be washed and return them ready for use on their first day back at school.
- We use class dojos as our reward system in school. Children collect these and work towards their bronze, silver and gold behaviour badges and red 'Super Award'. In Y6 the children have the opportunity to 'purchase' free time in our 'Dojo Shop' using the points they have accumulated.
During Year 6, children will take formal tests called 'SATs' which will be in the week commencing Monday 13th May 2019. There will be a a spelling, grammar and punctuation test; reading test; an arithmetic test and two mathematical reasoning tests to complete. These tests will be externally marked and the children usually receive their results during the first week of July.
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!